Monday, January 31, 2011

We Are Lincoln Men

.
(By: Chip Schultz)
.
For many generations, my family has told and retold the story of the Winans brothers - six brothers who served in the Union Army during the American Civil War. Their father, Jesse Winans (my great-great-great-great grandfather) is rumored to have traveled to Washington D.C. and requested to see President Lincoln, stating he was the father of 36 ft. of Union soldiers (all the boys were six feet tall). The President, after talking to him, granted Samuel (my great-great-great grandfather) a discharge so he could help his father on the farm.
.
In 1987 my grandmother (Doris Roberts) gave me a book that she had hand-written.  The untitled book, with the wedding photo of her and my grandfather (Kenneth Roberts) on page one, was a collection of my family history. Beyond her wedding photo, taken on January 7, 1945, are pages and pages of family stories told by my grandmother, in her handwriting, dating as far back as the year 1640.
.
On page 15 she writes of the Winans brothers, the above mentioned Civil War veterans. Rediscovering their story inspired me to, first, alter our Washington D.C. itinerary to accommodate a day-trip up to Gettysburg, and next, to do some research of my own on the Winans brothers.
.
I spoke with my mother, her brother and sister, and learned that Peter Van Brunt (a distant cousin whom I have never met), from Pittsford, New York, is a noted source of knowledge on our Civil War ancestry. After contacting Peter, he sent me additional information, including some of his photographs of a Gettysburg visit. My mother's brother (Rexford Roberts), also quite knowledgeable about the Battle of Gettysburg, shared great information with me. Of which, he recommended the book 'We Are Lincoln Men', by David Herbert Donald, which confirms that our family story is, indeed, factual.
.
A few days into my research, Tracy and I were in a used bookstore. I wasn't paying much attention when she asked very casually, "Is this the book you are looking for?" But I was amazed when she reached and pulled from the shelf, the very book my uncle had recommended. After finding Jesse Winans in the index, I quickly turned to page 145, and there it was - documented proof, from a Pulitzer Prize winning author, that in fact my great-great-great-great grandfather did indeed meet with President Lincoln:
.
"...when Jesse Winans, from Derickson's home county, came to Washington to visit his six sons in the Army, who averaged six feet in height, he asked the Captain to introduce him to the President. Knowing the President's fondness for measuring heights with other tall men, Derickson told Lincoln he had a visitor with thirty-six-feet-of-sons in the Army, and Winans was promptly admitted to the President's office."
.
What a great example of documented history and the importance of a written record. As a family, we are very proud of our ancestry and now, more than ever, excited to visit the hallowed grounds at Gettysburg National Military Park. In preparation for our visit, I contacted the Gettysburg National Cemetery and confirmed that, indeed, the Winans brothers, not only fought in the Battle of Gettysburg, but one of them (David) was buried there just prior to President Lincoln's Gettysburg Address.
.
Three of the six Winans brothers died in the Civil War:
.
David Winans - Served in the 18th PA Cavalry. He was killed on June 30, 1863 (the day before the Battle of Gettysburg) in cavalry action with the advance units of Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart in Hanover, PA (six miles east of Gettysburg). David's remains were transferred to the Gettysburg National Cemetery for the dedication on November 19, 1863.
.
James Winans - Served in the 150th PA Volunteers. He fought on McPherson's Ridge on the first day of the Battle of Gettysburg and was captured on the retreat through town. He was taken prisoner and transferred to the notorious Andersonville, Georgia prison where he died on May 26, 1864. James is buried in Section K, Grave No. 1386 in Andersonville National Cemetery.
.
Jason Winans - Served in the 83rd PA Volunteers. He fought alongside Colonel Lawrence Chamberlain's 20th Maine at Little Round Top on the second day of the Battle of Gettysburg. After serving three years, he re-enlisted and was killed on February 5, 1865 at Hatcher's Run (part of the siege of Petersburg). Jason is buried in Poplar Grove National Cemetery, outside Petersburg, Virginia.

The first page of my grandmother's handwritten book.
Kenneth and Doris Roberts - married January 7, 1945
.
My great-great-great grandparents Samuel and Nancy Winans
.
(click image to enlarge)
My grandmother's handwriting, telling the story of my great-great-great-great grandfather, Jesse Winans, meeting President Lincoln.
.
This monument is at the family plot in the Townville, Pennsylvania cemetery.
.
The Winans family farmhouse in Townville, Pennsylvania.
.

James Winans (left), 150th PA Volunteers, captured July 1st at the Battle of Gettysburg. Buried at the Andersonville, Georgia prison.
.
This monument is a tribute to the 83rd Pennsylvania Infantry (Jason Winans). It is located on the south side of Little Round Top, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania. (Photo taken by Peter Van Brunt)
.
The Civil War Veterans section, Gettysburg National Cemetery.
(Photo taken by Peter Van Brunt)
.

.
.
On November 28, 2005 my Grandma Roberts passed away. I will forever be thankful for her efforts in documenting and preserving our family history. On the last page of her handwritten book, it reads:
.
Conneaut, Ohio 1987
.
Dear Chip,
.
This information has been gathered from relatives, military and other records and by visiting cemeteries - so that you may know a bit about some of your grandparents.
.
With love,
Grandma Roberts
.
November 1996 - Tracy and I took Taylor (20 mos.) to visit her great grandparents, Kenneth and Doris Roberts.
.
.

1 comment:

  1. I have read your page with interest. On my trip to Andersonville this summer I was able to locate the grave of James Winans. Let me know if you would like the pictures.

    David Winans
    Albany, NY
    davidewinans@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete