Sunday, January 23, 2011

Ford's Theatre

.
(By: Hannah Schultz)
asdf
.Address: 517 10th Street NW
Hours: 9:00 a.m - 5:00 p.m
Cost: Free, but a ticket is still required
Website: www.nps.gov/foth
Contact Number: 202-426-6924
.
Ford's Theatre is America's most famous theatre. This is where President Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. He was shot on April 14, 1865, at the very end of the American Civil War. President Lincoln didn't actually die until the next morning at the Petersen House, which is directly across the street from Ford's Theatre. He was watching a play called Our American Cousin with his wife Mary Todd Lincoln, his friend Major Henry R. Rathbone, and Rathbone's fiance Clara Harris.
.
asdf
The assassination of President Lincoln was planned and carried out by well-known actor John Wilkes Booth. He was a confederate sympathizer, meaning he sided with the South during the American Civil War.
.
One night President Lincoln was telling his wife and some friends about a dream he had.  The President stated that in his dream there were many people sobbing, and he said there was a death-like stillness about himself. He said in his dream there were no people around. President Lincoln stated, I was puzzled and alarmed. What could be the meaning of all this? Determined to find the cause of a state of things so mysterious and so shocking, I kept on until I arrived at the East Room, which I entered. There I met with a sickening surprise. Before me was a catafalque, on which rested a corpse wrapped in funeral vestments. Around it were stationed soldiers who were acting as guards; and there was a throng of people, gazing mournfully upon the corpse, whose face was covered, others weeping pitifully. 'Who is dead in the White House?' I demanded of one of the soldiers, 'The President,' was his answer; 'he was killed by an assassin.' Then came a loud burst of grief from the crowd, which woke me from my dream. I slept no more that night; and although it was only a dream, I have been strangely annoyed by it ever since.”
.
Three days later Abraham Lincoln was the first U.S. President to be assassinated.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment